[rescue] Wow, 30k Graphics Card From Sun

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 26 14:18:23 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:07:16PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> What do you see as a weak spot other than the fact that it can only drive
> 2 displays?  This can be a deficiency, but I suspect that it isn't for the
> market that Sun is selling into.  This isn't a "high-end IR4 killer", it's
> a "low end Onyx2/high end Octane killer" (IMHO).  You can drop one of
> these into a Blade 2k and have a remarkably powerful box.

No, it's not an IR4 killer.  It is marketed as better than the IR3
though, not just as better than the Onyx2/Octane (and it does have a
good chance of being better than the Octane, especially for CAD,
solids, most 3D applications, etc, if not volumetrics and video).

And while it may be better at somethings than an onyx2 (like
workstation and to some extent datawall), it certainly doesn't appear
to be designed with the same flexibility.  But, at $30k for the card
alone, Onyx2s don't look so expensive (for the desksides, not the
racks).

--
Joshua D. Boyd