[rescue] Exabyte 8500 questions

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Fri Jul 26 09:35:58 CDT 2002

n7pgz at eudoramail.com writes:

>There is one thing that is making me nervous,
>though. The drive only seems to make tape
>drive type noises at the beginning and end
>of the dump. The rest of the time it is
>virtually silent. By tape drive type noises,
>I mean the "whirrrrrrp... grind-grind-grind"
>that I am used to from PeeCee cartridge drives
>and Archive 1/4" drives I have used in
>the past. Are 8500s (and possibly other 8mm
>drives) supposed to be this quiet?

DAT drives suck the tape in and wrap it around a
spinning drum that has the heads on it. Pulling the
tape in, and returning it later, makes a lot of noise.
Once it's in place, streaming it around the drum is
very quiet.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
---------- "Anything Jesus can do, I can do better." - The Locust ----------