[rescue] Exabyte 8500 questions

Michael Hansen n7pgz at eudoramail.com
Fri Jul 26 08:17:06 CDT 2002

I just got what seems to be a working
Exabyte 8500 for $3. It came with two
tapes - a 54 meter and a 112 meter, and
ufsdumps to both completed without errors.

There is one thing that is making me nervous,
though. The drive only seems to make tape
drive type noises at the beginning and end
of the dump. The rest of the time it is
virtually silent. By tape drive type noises,
I mean the "whirrrrrrp... grind-grind-grind"
that I am used to from PeeCee cartridge drives
and Archive 1/4" drives I have used in
the past. Are 8500s (and possibly other 8mm
drives) supposed to be this quiet?

The other question I have is, can anyone
point me toward a source of reasonably priced
112 meter x 8mm media for this thing?

BTW, anybody need a set of DYNIX/ptx or
Informix for DYNIX/ptx-Sequent tapes? I have
been storing them for several years.

-Mike Hansen
AC7UR