[rescue] FDDI alive

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Wed Jul 24 19:41:54 CDT 2002

   I can now testify that the my HP Advancestack 2000 makes a perfectly
good ethernet/fast ethernet/FDDI bridge. It's been working fine with
10baseT, 10baseF, and 100baseTX for a couple days now, and this morning
I got a chance to drop a 3Com 3c805 DAS FDDI PCI card into a machine
and actually set up an FDDI loop. With only one machine on the loop
I'm not seeing any of FDDI's benefits yet, but it is at least working!
When I get a chance to finish up another machine which is in progress,
then I'll actually have two on the loop -- and one of the first tasks
after finishing that machine is to move about 20 gigs of files over
from the machine that's on the loop already, so I'll get to see how it
works under heavy load.

   I have a couple Cisco concentrators, but until I can whack up a console
cable for them, I'm just doing a DAS loop, since I have enough cables.

   Whee!

   --James B.