[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jul 24 17:35:45 CDT 2002

On 2002.07.24 00:03 Tim H. wrote:

> Free looked nice until I started attempting to get the sources for the
> ports tree,
[...]
> I have OpenBSD x86 on my gonna be new firewall, I like the fact that
> the ports tree distfiles are all at ftp.openbsd.org.
[...]
> NetBSD is currently on the AlphaServer that started this thread, right
> now I handed it the nastiest dependency mess I know of,
The *BSD is one thing. The accompanying packages system is an other.

> Do have one question, I put bash on, and I would like it to be my
> default shell, so I changed the shell for my account in /etc/passwd,
> but it still launches csh.
/etc/passwd is not really used. /etc/master.passwd is what you want to
alter. Do this with vipw(8), chpass(1), ... Read passwd(5) and
pwd_mkdb(8).
BTW: Put
	VISUAL=emacs
	bind ^I=complete
	set -o braceexpand
in your .profile, use the NetBSD ksh (=pdksh) and you will get a bash
like shell without the need to install one first. (Somting that is
really importand when you use VAXen that need hours to compile bash. ;-)
 )
--

tsch,
         Jochen