[rescue] Re: misc old Sun resources / now 24/7 connect

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 24 15:58:10 CDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:

> dialupusa.net, or go right to the source -- megapop.net

BTDT.  They are the most incredible bunch of fuckups I've ever met.  No
clue about network management.  Can't imagine -why- I might want to know
what their IP address space is (no, that's okay--I'll just let -anyone-
FTP to homepages.isp.net and SMTP to mail.isp.net).  Their POP number
management is nonexistant.

At least, the last time I had to handle data for them, I had to write a
script to pull down a web page, strip out all the tags, and attempt to do
some sort of intelligent token-parsing.  This is because they'd update
their webpage as soon as they made changes, but they'd email customers
after the fact, so we'd invariably have customers bitching because they
couldn't access $server due to outdated ACLs.

When I left $ISP, they were in talks with buying the software that I wrote
to process/manage the data mined from their web page because they had
-nothing- (at least, according to a suit of theirs); they just had someone
hack something together with Excel.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "gnu: we aim to fuck up everything with the potential to not suck"