[rescue] now: Alpha NT

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Wed Jul 24 12:19:06 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:55:28AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:45:25AM -0400, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >
> > Essentially this is a piece of it, from what I understood.  That x millions
> > was to cover development costs and was truly in the form of free hardware,
> > programming staff, facilities, etc...While steep, this is not completely
> > unusual (but rather upfront) for the development of software to support your
> > given hardware platform.
>
> Remember too that MS had just finished scamming IBM about half a
> billion for their "work" on OS/2.  So maybe they were just looking to
> take another ride on the gravy train.

You know it's funny, the way I understood it was that Microsoft thought
OS/2 was going to be the way to go, then some poor hacker left on the
windows team (from <2.0) did some lone hacking on the windows source,
coming up with something cool (I think it was running multiple real
mode programs in protected mode), then Gates decided Windows was the
future. Which means either, Microsoft is a blood-sucking evil company,
or Microsoft is a incredibly lucky company, that has never made the
right choice, just stumbled into it. Which is worse I don't know.

Jody