[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jul 24 09:12:21 CDT 2002

> Up until OpenVMS 7.? (I think something like 7.2-3?), the *only*
> framebuffers supported in workstations were:
>
> ZLXp-E1 (TGA)
> PowerStorm 3D30
> PowerStorm 4D20
>
> I guess in whatever recent release I'm trying to think of (say, within the
> last year or so), they've added some more mainstream 24-bit buffers that
> make up for lack of the higher-end 4D cards.  Basically, none of the Wildcat
> series buffers were supported...

I'm sure you don't mean 7.2-3, since 7.2-2 was released just
a few months ago (for people that still don't/can't migrate
to 7.3).  There was support for the Powerstorm 300/350 cards
and Permedia 2-based (and later 2v-based) cards added as a
patch to 7.1-x (I think).  Later support was added for the
Oxygen VX1 card (7.2-x).  The VX1 is only supported for EV6
platforms.

The Powerstorm 300/350 cards are E&S cards using the RealImage
2100 chipset.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net