[rescue] Powerstack

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jul 24 08:54:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Koyote wrote:

> So, I've rescued an ancient little powerstack and I'm wondering if I
> can get it up and running--- bt I'd rather do it with AIX. (I hear
> rumors of solaris 2.5.1 for this, but never have found it.)

Solaris/PPC is Not Going To Happen on that hardware.

> Not being an AIX junkie, anyone have suggestions on which not-too-old
> version would run. and where I could get it for grad student wages?

I believe that you need a special version of AIX.  Stock IBM AIX does not
have all of the required device drivers.

If you want a cheap AIX box, I'd recommend either a 25 or 42 series (if
you're really cheap) or a 43P if you can throw a few bucks into it.  Nice
boxes, even the old ones are still reasonable performers.

-James