[rescue] Re: misc old Sun resources / now 24/7 connect

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Tue Jul 23 23:29:20 CDT 2002

>Most people that are on 24/7 aren't sucking up banwidth that whole time.
>I bet they lose more money from a 24/7 connection on just the connection
>to the customer, not on their upstream bandwidth.  So, with my theory,
>they should charge by the hours connected.

I agree!

What costs the provider is the resources set aside for a connection

Isnt this simple addition, not fancy algorithms..?

lets say T1 in T1 out
T1 in = 23 circuits (yes?)  whether singel B ISDN or DSP with modem conversion
= 23 dial in accounts at any given time.  whether T1 out is saturated or
more likely not

so usually 5x T1 in - 1x T1 out ? 10x in

but still a fixed capacity of connected users at any given instant.

T1 costs what .. $100 ? $200 ?

that cost / 24 at its most basic level.. esp is I stay connected 24/7 .. I
am costing 1/24th of their T1 bill

and thats before electric for UPSs and Servers and Routers and HVAC bill !!!

oh and salaries. and  cost for equipment: mailservers auth servers routers
switches  and replacement equipment..

Oh  THEIR ISP backbone bill..

then there's billing..   what else..

so think hard before you park yourself on a dialup account. A small ISP
aint doing it for the PROFIT>. thats for sure.

You used to be able to be an instant nationsl ISP by paying UUNet to accept
your clients dialups at UUNets POPs around the country.. then they just
authenticate off your own database auth server. I think it was $10 a user.

Les