[rescue] Workers of the World, Unite!

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jul 23 18:56:23 CDT 2002

"Tim H." wrote:
> Actually, even water down the intake won't hurt the engine, as long as
> it doesn't get to sit there. I used to work with a guy who prepped his
> boat for winter by winding it up and dumping a big glass of cold water
> down the carb.  Then he pulled the plugs, top oiled the cylinders, and
> changed the oil.  He claimed it cleaned carbon off the piston/cylinder
> head.  I thought he was nuts, but it didn't seem to hurt the engine any.

Man!  That's a *very* old gearhead trick - but usually you just let it dribble
down the intake.  The heat of the engine turns the water to steam, which
dissolves the carbon deposits on the valves and the piston-head.  No better
trick out there for big engines - I can't say that I've ever heard it being
done on small 4-cyl engines.
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster