[rescue] misc old Sun resources

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jul 23 18:16:44 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Tim H. wrote:

> But anyway, they can't be making money on a 24/7 connection at $10 a
> month.  I'd love to see an ISP actually meter bandwidth at a fair price,
> what I see happening on consumer deals is a ridiculously low cap, after
> which there is an exhorbitant price.  I'd like to see the caps go away,
> and just have a fair price from the start.

How do you define "fair price", though?

I'm in the middle of talking with my neighborhood ISP about this.  As I
mentioned before, I'll be handling all connectivity issues and own all
hardware up to their switch (so they have nothing invested in me).
They've got 3 T1's, running at about 40% utilization most of the time.
I'm considering a rate of around $10/GB of data transfer.  Their cost is
probably in the $5/GB range, but I'd get quite a few perks from this (like
being able to legally resell service for colocation).

Amazingly, PA Verizon/BA has an "intra-CO unloaded metallic network line"
in their tariff (unchanged since 1987!) for a reasonable price, and my
local CO supports metallic bridging.  Total distance to the CO and then to
the ISP is about 2500'.  This is starting to look like the way to go
provided I can pick up some cheap SDSL gear.  Unlike an alarm circuit they
actually give a worst case insertion loss though the 50KHz range, and the
pair itself is <$20/mo.

If you have one nearby, call your local small ISP and talk.  I've gotten
some of the best deals for hosting and bandwidth from small shops that
jumped at the opportunity to make some cash from extra resources.

-James