[rescue] Re: how to utilize multiple tape drives in the same library/silo with Amanda...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jul 23 12:38:17 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, July 22, 2002 at 19:40:40 (-0400), nick at snowman.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: how to utilize multiple tape drives in the     same library/silo with Amanda...
>
> Sure, no problem.  I too prefer haveing a cache disk, and every serious
> backup system I've configured has one.  Amanda requires one at *least* the
> size of your largest partition to be backed up.  There's a slight
> difference between requireing a cache drive and requireing the entire
> partition get backed up to the cache partition.

Of course it does.  That's how _ALL_ of the sane methods of acquiring
the backup image (when it's a level zero dump) require it to work!

Meanwhile Amanda does not require that you use it to do level zero dumps
-- you're free to do them manually in whatever manner you choose.

_R_T_F_M_

Look, you seem to have some bias of some sort against software that
you're able to freely use and modify.  You don't have to like it, and
you don't even have to use it.  However if you're going to complain
about it the only way you'll impress anyone in any way whatsoever (other
than to convince them you're just whining about things for no good
reason whatsoever) is to sumit something constructive (be that complete
working code, or even just a detailed problem analysis and perhaps a
functional specification of what needs to be done to fix the problem).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>