[rescue] now: Alpha NT

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Tue Jul 23 07:45:25 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:42:53PM -0500, Leslie Connally wrote:
> >Rumour has it that /that/
> >played heavily into Microsoft's dropping of WinNT Alpha...
>
> _I_ heard that MS demanded x million dollars to port 4.0 and DEC said
> 'screw you'.  Urban Myth ?

Essentially this is a piece of it, from what I understood.  That x millions
was to cover development costs and was truly in the form of free hardware,
programming staff, facilities, etc...While steep, this is not completely
unusual (but rather upfront) for the development of software to support your
given hardware platform.

Disclaimer:  There was a *lot* of armchair quarterbacking going on during
the Alpha NT and Alphacide announcements.  This was the most cohesive and
backable theory ever presented, and fit most of the common logic tests one
would apply...

> Urban Myth Story 2:
>
> Some MicroSoft underVP was upset with Intel about something and conveying
> his companies' upset-ness to  Andy Grove (CEO of Intel), in a very arrogant
> disrespectful and rude manenr. To which Andy Grove replied "i survived the
> f()*g nazis.. you think _you_ can intimidate me ?? "

Haven't heard this one before.  I can believe it, though, given everything
I've read about Andy Grove over the years.

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions