[rescue] Workers of the World, Unite!

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Mon Jul 22 19:21:31 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 03:39:21PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Hehehe... Go look at folded horns. Some of the most serious low-end
> > reproduction units use folded horns to get around the inadequacies of
> > subwoofers. You can make an extended pipe and hide that behind the woofer
> > to give it more depth and resonation space.
> >
> > This is how Bose's clock radio does so well; it's one big folded horn.
>
> I wasn't thrilled with the Bose wave radios.  They just sounded
> pretentious to me.  Yeah, I know, how's that for subjective analysis.
> But, it just seemed to promise good sound at first listen, but deeper
> listening didn't deliver.

They are OK at lower volume - but a test of a speaker is to test how
it sounds when it is turned up - and then you notice they don't sound
so good.

Also they seem to boost the midrange in an attempt to give a "rich"
sound, which after you listen for a bit sounds cheesy (can cheesy be
used to describe audio?)

Maybe they just need to use something other than plastic in the folded
horn, something stiffer and thinner.

> The best sound I've heard so far (other than live) was from a set of
> infinities.  They had dual drivers, a tweater, and a ribbon in each
> speaker.  They were very impressive.  They were powered by a tube
> power amp of some sort, with the audio coming off of a very high end
> Sony CD player[1].  The high end clarity of the sound was good.  Maybe
> I'd have hated them if I'd spent more than 3 minutes with them though.

I have heard true digital audio (digital from CD to speakers, no
analog stage - speakers were driven with FETs) and it was quite
impressive, very clean all the way to maximum volume.  However I am
not an audiophile aside from not liking Bose.

I have met some of the guys from Bose HQ and they were arrogant
know-it-alls to boot.

./patrick