[rescue] Workers of the World, Unite!

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Jul 22 13:26:19 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Well, I'm not an expert in sound reproduction, but IMHO, the best
> results come from using a large speaker for a woofer, not from fancy
> box techniques.  For awhile, the best indoors subwoofer (never done a
> car one) I had was made from a 14" speaker taken from a peavey
> monitor.  It just took the audio straight from the amp with no fancy
> electronics.

Hehehe... Go look at folded horns. Some of the most serious low-end
reproduction units use folded horns to get around the inadequacies of
subwoofers. You can make an extended pipe and hide that behind the woofer
to give it more depth and resonation space.

This is how Bose's clock radio does so well; it's one big folded horn.

> BTW, did you do anything to make up for the ohms mismatch?  I could
> have sworn that even if GM did something wierd, most car stereos, and
> the stuff that comes with the Nissan specifically, are designed for 4
> ohms.  My recall is that 10ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp puts to much
> load on the amp, and that if you aren't going to match the amp to the
> speaker, then at least the speaker should be a lower ohm-age. And it
> should be easy enough to add a circuit to adjust for the different
> speakers.   A 6.6667ohm resistor network in parallel with the speaker
> would bring your resistance down to the desired amount.

Did one better. Put them in parallel (5 ohm load) on a mini-bookshelf
stereo with the channels bridged. It's seems that the box starts rattling
before the amp hits it's limits now.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"