[rescue] misc old Sun resources

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jul 22 12:30:27 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> In a way with DSL the ISPs are metering bandwidth.  The more you
> want the more you pay.  That's why I'm 1.5M/128K when I qualify
> for higher (I'm less than 2000ft from the CO).

That's not bandwidth, that's speed.  Without a SLA you have no bandwidth
assurances.

Given that one 1.5M user can potentially move about 390GB of data over the
course of the month, I don't see how flat rate access plans can succeed
for much longer.  Even at 5% usage it's likely a losing proposition for
the ISP.

The figure I'm familiar with is that the top 1% of high speed users
consume 30% of the bandwidth.  I suspect that this is conservative.

-James