[rescue] DECstation 5000h

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Mon Jul 22 12:14:07 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:09:56PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > I believe you Dave, since engineers at DEC have admitted to
> > > working on a port themselves.  What I haven't seen anyone
> > > discuss is _WHY_ the port was dropped.  My guess is the
> > > work was diverted to getting NT working on the upcoming
> > > Alpha.
> >
> > Of course, if there were engineers at DEC stupid enough to think that
> > MS was a company worth working with, then it kind of explains why DEC
> > is no longer in business and has been bought up by Carly's Folly Inc.
>
> It was never the engineers that wanted to get into bed with
> Microsoft.  The person that really wanted to marry MS was
> GQ Palmer.

Yep.  Man, I still wouldn't mind meeting that character in a dark alley with
a sufficiently appropriate LART...

> > It was quite obvious to many that MS was not serious about breaking
> > away from Intel; it was just a feint.
>
> I believe that Microsoft did/does want to lose their dependence
> on Intel.  That was the whole reason behind ARC.  Unfortunately
> the same momentum that keeps MS on top also keeps Intel on top.

Yeah.  I think that Microsoft at one point really believed they needed the
NT multi-platform strategy to compete in the future.  On the other hand,
they weren't stupid and realized that the platforms they were looking at
probably "needed" them as well (granted, that is very arguable).  I always
thought it was interesting exactly how long it took them to realize the MIPS
port in particular was going nowhere...The PowerPC port did make more sense,
but that platform just never really delivered.

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions