[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 22 12:02:33 CDT 2002

> 2) If you're using SRM as your boot console, you'll be amazed at the
> hardware it'll get in the way of using...Heck, I couldn't even get a DEC
> ZLXp-L1 PCI framebuffer to work in a 600au, which is only slightly newer
> then the machines that used that card...

The ZLXp-L1 was not supported by SRM in the PWS systems.  The
card didn't exist when the PWS was developed, and Digital never
bothered to go back and add support to the SRM in the PWS for
the card.  The SRM in some other systems did have support added,
but I don't know why the PWS SRM wasn't changed.

This same situation exists with the VX1 cards.  The SRM will
support it on most EV56 systems, but the VMS driver only has
support for EV6 and later CPUs.  The driver will work, but
you'll think you were running on a 10MHz CPU.

The odd thing is the Tru64 and VMS driver share a lot of code
and the VX1 works just fine on an EV56 system running Tru64.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net