[rescue] Highspeed access

James Rice jrice at texoma.net
Mon Jul 22 07:48:41 CDT 2002

<soapbox>I live only 21 miles from downtown Dallas, but SWBell told me
last month not to hold my breath waiting on DSL roll out here.  Hell, we
can't even get voicemail. When I built my house , we were promised DSL
by November.  I should have had a clue when it took three months to get
analog dialtone, but I had faith.  I signed up on the email noitce
program and waited.  All this was in 1999.

Then this June I had received an email that DSL was now available in my
neighborhood, so I called and scheduled an installation.  I had been on
ISDN at a cost of $110.00 (ISP and phone line charges)  per month  for
three years.  The scheduled date came and went, no DSL package in the
mail, no installer.  So I called them, and called them, and called them.
 Finally the lady on the other end of the line admitted that they won't
be able to provide DSL in Rockwall south of I-30 for at least another
2-3 years so they had canceled the order.  She also informed me that it
is not the SWB policy to inform the customer when the order was
canceled  and I might as well seek alternatives.  So much for customer
service.

That very day I noticed that our local cable comany had sold out to
Charter.  I called them, and behold, the next day I  had cable broadband
service.  The first two weeks, service was very spotty, down more than
up, etc., but it is improving, so there is still hope.  And when service
is down, I just route everything through  the ISDN router to my office
in Dallas.  We have 2m/8m DSL from Sprint and 768k/3m DSL from SWBell
there.</soapbox>