[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Mon Jul 22 04:55:05 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 06:03:17PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> said on Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:24:39 -0400

> The IPX had memory, a small drive, and SunOS 4.<something> on it.  Once I
> figured out the serial cable, it even booted, though it whinged incessantly
> about various things like missing NFS files and being on the wrong network.

I just installed 4.1.1 on my SS1+ yesterday (actually this morning at
about 2-3 am). Creepy-looking system but it was fun to get it finally
running. I had always been messing up something in the disklabel or
something. Now I put in the smallest SCSI disk I had lying around (the
ST5660N it came with, 500-some MB). That may also have been it.

I chose "full install" and / is what, 2M and /usr some 210M used.

I seem to be all out of transceivers so I just put in a serial cable and
another etc until I had to admit that I had no working combination of
cables. Eventually I just turned a modem cable with openable connectors
to a null-modem and used that, a D9-D25 adapter and a Mac modem cable
that together were just long enough to reach the I. cu -lttya and go.
The termcaps just barely agree if I use /usr/openwin/demo/xterm so I
read my mail and visited the screened irc session :-)

(And people claim RH invented alias rm="rm -i" ll="ls -l" by default...)