[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Sun Jul 21 19:36:15 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 07:07:30PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> Every time a new wireless panacea gets announced I get hopeful.  I have
> even considered "roll your own" DSL to my dad's house to tap his
> roadrunner connection, but I can't afford the equipment, and I'm not
> sure how much I could expect to get out of a dry copper pair covering 15
> miles, or if the phone company would even sell me one.  There is 802.11
> wireless available on the other side of my hill, but I don't really want
> to put up a tall enough tower to see it.  I have told a couple ISPs that

How high a tower do you need?  You can buy 30 foot towers for about
$100 I think.

Some people have reported success in placing two antennas connected
with a cable and using that to bounce the signal around an
obstruction.  This is good if it works because you do not need
electricity running to the tower.

./patrick