[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Jul 21 13:02:32 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> said on Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:26:17 -0400

[snip]

> Really, folks.  Computers don't get slower with time.  With the
> exception of MP3 playing and video hacking, have our applications for
> our machines really changed all that much since, say, the IPX was new?
> Note that by "applications" I mean "reading email" or "writing code",
> not "playing around with KDE" which can tank all but the very fastest
> of systems.

The LX I picked out of a dumpster 5 years ago is the same speed now as it
was when it was a, what, $10,000 computer in '93.  The Classics I bought for
$5 apiece at the U surplus store haven't slowed down, either.  The Indigo2's
processor still says it's a 200 MHz unit, just like it was in '93 ....

The only thing slowing down around here is me!

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com