[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 19 19:30:23 CDT 2002

~ > I do wonder how things would perform with a BSD instead of Linux in
~ > such a case though.
~
~ BSD has a superior tcp/ip stack.  That probably makes a significant
~ difference.

Ditto, and huge.

I hear that the current kernel has improvements, but it appears to be like
putting lipstick on a pig. We have various "internet appliances" like load
balancers and content accelerators that are pretty much BSD and they cruise.
Linux gets its panties in a wad anytime you keep *anything* busy, so its
very sensitive to things like tcp states that stay busy cause of "stupid
things" like dialup accounts and busy backend servers. The Solaris boxen
notice these things even less, Solaris has much more robust system resource
handling than just about anything else I've seen.

And please, no evangelist/crusader wars. Every O/S has a purpose in life.