[rescue] Tough sledding (SGI division)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 19 16:22:39 CDT 2002

On July 19, Tim H. wrote:
> > > I did notice that also.. but I assumed its like on my Mac (internal
> > > & external)... they are .. 'fake' busses.. or 'virtual' busses.. Its
> > > really basically one bus with only 7 SCSI IDs..
> >
> >   ...as in, one bus with two connectors.
> >
> >       -Dave
>
> is this really the case?  hinv lists them on separate controllers, I was
> assuming that there were actually two busses.  Hadn't run into a
> conflict because I only have one disk on it and my external devices are
> already on numbers so as not to conflict.  Can somebody answer this
> authoritatively, or do I need to try a conflict?

  I can answer it authoritatively; I have seven Indigo2s now and have
owned about twenty: Indigo2s have TWO SEPARATE SCSI busses, each of
which can have 7 targets.  My statement above was a clarfication of
what it was sent in response to, describing a Mac, not a description
of the Indigo2 SCSI subsystem.

        -Dave