[rescue] 48 VDC v -48 VDC...jeez!

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Jul 19 14:23:22 CDT 2002

> Can anyone simply explain why egSun uses -48vdc and if anyone else uses
> +48vdc?
>
> Can I assume NOT everyone in telecom uses -48vdc?
> Is most telecom -48vdc ?

AFAIK, all telco-style DC equipment is -48V DC.  I have never seen anything
called +48VDC except for UPS Batteries.

> which is f((*&g "supply" and which is "return" ???
>
> PS
>

> Equip

To my knowledge, -48V dc is all the same.  It matters not which way you name
it as long as you hook all the +'s together, and all the -'s together, and
your frame grounds to Ground.  A voltage differential is a voltage
differential.  These aren't series, they're parallel.

(Some correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I hooked up DC boxes at
$PREVIOUS_WORK.)