[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 19 13:52:32 CDT 2002

George Adkins wrote:
> > Yes, I'm learning that different is often the case, with this system.
> > Frinstance the memory bank layout is unique, and I recall reading
> > somewhere that SS5s don't require termination for internal drives
> > but this Axil definitely does.
>
> Umm, the SS5  drives are SCA.  One normally cannot terminate SCA drives,
the
> backplane provides termination.

Then that's another diff between the SS5 and Axil-255.  No SCA here, just two
50-pin IDC. Yeah, backplane termination is what I remember reading but that
didn't give me a clue that it was SCA.

> You may be thinking of the SS2.  In an SS2, the motherboard provides
> termination, as the SCSI bus is actually in the traces on the board.  The
> ribbon cables are actually stubs (which is why they have to be very, very
> short.)  The external tail of the bus usually remains unterminated.
<snip>

I wonder if the Axil 255 is like that.  I'm still getting occasional SCSI
errors after trying a few different things but have quite a few options yet
to try.  (Ignore me, just learning SCSI as I go.) Rave Computers wasn't able
to help this time--said they had thrown out their (Axil ???) manual since the
last time I emailed them.  <groan>  I guess that's okay, it wasn't an Axil
255 manual anyway, but still, it had better clues than the SS manuals.

-k