[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Fri Jul 19 10:50:55 CDT 2002

So, my girlfriend is being forced to give hard evidence why a single or dual cpu UltraSparc would be more advantageuous to purchase than an intel box. Performance, reliability, anything.

Of course, background is needed: this is mostly a NFS, HTTPS, and samba server.(There's a little bit of website front end, but it's mostly about getting data to user.) It's internal, serves large amounts of data per connection, but sustains relatively few connections. - though the mean load is ridiculoudly low (call it 20 downloads per day (except at beginning of term), but 50-700 meg each download)

The disk is pretty easy, goal is an a1000.

Where we are having issues is finding real hard numbers for why the dual P4 is less suitable than a netra t1 ac200 or a netra 120. (My gf's boss was thinking about a 280R, but that's overkill- she just wnats it cuz it's new and is instisting that it's only fair to compare the dual intel dell server to a dual US3 box. Of course, she doesn't wnat to pay)

I'm thinking of suggesting a netra 120, the ethernet and disk loads nking can be high at times, but there's nothing that I can see that would destroy performance.

So, what is needed is hard, real, hard numbers. Which I'm having a hard time finding. Redhat vs. Solaris. US2 vs P4, Sun performance vs Dell performance....

Any real data out there?

-Christof