[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 00:26:50 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 01:12:26AM -0400, Katherine Strojny wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Audacity has probably been ported.  It is on linux, windows, and
> > MacOS, and in my experience, linux and solaris are pretty similar at
> > handling audio.
>
> I'm not seeing a Solaris port for audacity on sourceforge.  I'll keep an eye
> out though.  Thx.

Do this.  If you have a sparc with solaris and 16bit sound, download
audacity, install the dependecies, and see if it will compile out of
box with GCC.  From what I can see, all you need are glib, gtk, and
wxwindows.  You might get lucky and have it just work.

This probably would be well within my skill set to port, if I had a
machine to use.  Or ever just a monitor to hook up to my SS classic (I
think this should do the job, albeit maybe not quickly).

> Multiple tracks and looping.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.

It does do multiple tracks.  If you record and playback at the same
time, you will have to manually timeshift the recording to sink with
the original track since it doesn't automatically compensate for
this.

As to looping, well, it is possible to do looping, but I don't really
know what you are after, so you may or may not like it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd