[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:50:50 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:45:53PM -0500, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> On 7/18/02 11:37 PM, "Joshua D Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> > If you go with this, please make a point of getting the digital IO
> > chanels working, if possible.
>
> If you're looking for Digital audio I/O, and you have a system with USB that
> accepts basic USB sound, then the Onkyo SE-U55 (which I use on my mac) would
> probably do the trick.  All the controls are on the front so it doesn't need
> any software to control it at all.

>From what I've heard, USB is fine for playing audio, but not up to the
task of doing real interactive audio work, like keeping playback and
recording in sync.  I could be wrong, but that was what I've been
hearing.

I am strongly considering getting a USB audio device for playback only
on my main linux machine.  The room is too noisy for serious work, and
I'd like to free up a PCI slot (and have a better way to hook up both
speakers and headphones).

--
Joshua D. Boyd