[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:35:40 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 06:51:26PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> I think FC-AL cards are needed, and firewire or USB would be very nice.  I
> wouldnt bother with A/V cards, at least for Sun - SGI and Apple have that
> market pretty well wrapped up.  Especially useful would be that ability to use
> USB or firewire hard drives, cameras, CD/DVD burners, and other stuff that
> makes using a feecee unnecessary.

I think AV boards would be a good idea.  Sure SGI has a lot there, but
with O2s getting to be rarer and good ones more expensive (not
drasticly yet, but it does seem to be starting), and the cost of video
IO on an Octane, a few drivers for Solaris would be quite nice.
However, there doesn't seem to be any sort of industry standard card
to start with.  The closest might be DC10s since I believe the LML-33
and Iomega Buz cards are supposed to be similar, but that doesn't seem
to be the greatest...

Not PCI, but is video IO over firewire supported on Solaris?

--
Joshua D. Boyd