[rescue] Tough sledding (SGI division)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 18 23:31:19 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> So I get this SGI sled in the mail for my Indigo2, and it fits the box OK,
> but not a one of the 50-pin SCSI drives I have has the selector pins in the
> right place to connect to the one on the sled.

I've only seen that work flawlessly on older Quantum and Micropolis discs.

> CAN I just leave the sled's connector dangling and set the SCSI ID on the
> drive itself?

Yes.

> What SCSI ID is the lower bay on an Indigo2?

Unless my memory fails me, when looking at the system from the front,
the IDs are assigned like this:

    3    2
         1

It doesn't really matter, though, so long as you either set them all
manually or let them all auto-assign.  If you're paranoid, pick something
from 4 through 7, inclusive, since that won't conflict.  Keep in mind,
however, that the machine expects to boot from chain 0, device 1, unless
told otherwise.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "gnu: we aim to fuck up everything with the potential to not suck"