[rescue] I'm not an EE Q - clarification

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Thu Jul 18 23:16:56 CDT 2002

> Until the battery's internal resistance catches up, a gell cell can dump
> an insane amounts of current. 48V x 50A = 2400W = crispy fried in your own
> juices. All it takes is a blink of an eye, and gell-cells are best known
> for short term, high current capabilities -- car batteries take this to an
> extreme, however.

How can you tell a bad auto electrician / mechanic?

He has "Chrome Vanadium" burnt into his hands.

(I have seen welding rods being melted by car batteries. Kind of
amusing, until they start melting the plastic casing on the battery.)

> Yeah, but pissing yourself is just a warm, wet sensation if you drop a
> screwdriver onto buss bars[1].
>
> [1]: Quite a few large installations have a few screwdrivers welded to the
>     buss bars -- nothing in between!

I heard about someone vapourising, yes, that was not line
interference, vapourise!!! a 2 inch diameter copper busbar in a power
station before.

S.

--
Steven Hill