[rescue] Re: Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Thu Jul 18 22:18:43 CDT 2002

At 05:53 PM 18/07/2002 -0500, JL wrote:
>To that end, I'd like to ask the owners (or prospective owners) of PCI
>SPARC gear what they consider to be the biggest hole in Sun's PCI card
>lineup (or, the area that is far too overpriced).

PCI SCSI RAID card, the SRC/P was never given a chance.  IMHO this is the
major reason companies like $my_employer use IBM/HPaq/DULL boxen instead of
Sun for low-end servers.   Price really is not an issue, if you build it,
people will buy it (almost) regardless of cost.  Doesn't have to have a
flashy interface, just be configurable from the PROM/LOM (or a serial port
on the card?) and be able to inform Solaris of a disk failure.

Rob