[rescue] I'm not an EE Q - clarification

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Jul 18 20:50:37 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, James Sharp wrote:
> No, I'd say in this case that its "no thicker than" - meaning that nothing
> bigger than 12 AWG will fit in the connectors.
>
> > That would be 'no thinner than'.

> > > DC Supply and Ground Conductor
> > > The requirements are:
> > > o Suitable conductor material: tinned copper (stranded) only
> > > o Conductors: 12AWG maximum (between the Netra t1 Model 100 and the circuit
> > > breaker). There are three conductors:

The wonderfully screwed up part about this (and why it sounds so
confusing) is that they *are* talking about 12GA being the largest size
the terminals will take. However, the American Wire Gauge specifies that
the *lower* the number, the *larger* the wire. Thus 10GA is a lower
number, yet larger than 12GA.

And from the looks of it, they don't want you to use solid wire, either.

There's nothing wrong with making a pigtail of 6" of 12GA to connect to
the Netra and however many feet of other stuff you need to get power to
it. Fr'instance, let's say I wanted to keep the Netra in the corner of the
basement of our house and keep the batteries in the garage.

6" Pigtail
100 feet wire, spec to 12GA.
For each 50 feet, go down `two' sizes (12 -> 10, 10 -> 8)
100 Feet #8, fused at 20A (that's all #12 can do)

Also, remember that 48V = 12V * 4, so the nominal battery voltage should
be around 55.2V, and at a very maximum 57.6V. And don't forget polarity --
it's a positive ground system.

If you do decide to use batteries, please, for the love of $deity,
be careful. 48V worth of 33AH cells *can* kill you. 48V worth of 7AH cells
can do it to!

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
"Everytime my faith in humanity has been tested...humanity has failed."