[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jul 18 17:07:51 CDT 2002

As some of you may know, I've been doing driver development for PCI cards
in SPARCs for a while.  My contractural obligations for earlier work have
been discharged, so I'm free to do some stuff on the side.

To that end, I'd like to ask the owners (or prospective owners) of PCI
SPARC gear what they consider to be the biggest hole in Sun's PCI card
lineup (or, the area that is far too overpriced).  Thoughts that come to
mind, in no particular order:

Audio/Video capture cards
Gig ethernet and fast ethernet cards
LVD and FCAL cards, including RAID
PCI IDE cards (oh, the pain)
Crypto accelerators
Multiport serial cards
Interesting USB and firewire drivers (OHCI cards already supported)

Any other suggestions?  Video cards themselves are a highly obvious
target, but meshing with Sun's X server is quite complex.

If a large number of people agreed on a single type of card, I'd
definitely pursue it.

-James