[rescue] GNU != Unix (was: PC v. PeeCees? (was: IBM hard

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Tue Jul 16 08:43:45 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:59:03PM -0700, Koyote wrote:
    [snip]
> package management. That's totally blown the moment I have
> to take something as fundamental as X and hand
> compile/break packaging/ or build, test, stabilize my own
> package. Smaller apps, sure.
>
> Or maybe Debian doesn't want desktop users anymore, just
> institutions?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg01343.html

Quoting for the lazy:

"...4.2 just plain won't work on some of Debian's supported machines
because we need the PCI Domain support, which is currently a branch in
XFree86 CVS and did not make it into the 4.2 release. So for us,
releasing 4.2 doesn't just mean releasing 4.2. It means releasing 4.2
plus some very large patches in very critical parts of the server code."

and:

"...Debian's philosophy has been to release when "it's ready", not when
some marketroid tells us to, and thus just live with whatever whopper
bugs happen to be in the release that day."

Can there be a clearer explanation?

- Ross