[rescue] DECstation 5000

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 15 18:41:00 CDT 2002

>   I didn't say it was *supported*, I said it was developed there.  I may
> have overstated that fact, in that I don't believe *all* early NT
> development took place on those machines, but *some* very early NT
> development did indeed take place on DS5000s.  I saw a very early
> release of NT running on a DS5000 at a DEC facility in Delaware many
> years ago.

That was DEC's work, on their own.  Microsoft did their own
development on different MIPS systems (for some reason
Fujitsu comes to mind, but that doesn't sound quite right).

The same thing happened with Alpha NT.  Digital (later Compaq)
did their own work, although Microsoft picked it up to to get
Win64 debugged.  Microsoft continued working on Windows 2000
for the Alpha long after Compaq dropped it, although nothing
past RC1 was ever released.  I don't know if they continued
the Alpha with Windows XP or .NET since they could work with
IA64 hardware.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net