[rescue] DECstation 5000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 15 18:16:27 CDT 2002

On July 15, Eric Dittman wrote:
> >   Well, NT was developed on those machines, if memory serves.  But
> > we'll hunt you down and kill you if you so much as express interest in
> > running NT on that machine.
>
> I checked, and DEC did an experimental version of NT for the
> R3000, but it was dropped before NT 3.1 was released.  I found
> another old post that said Microsoft never developed support
> for TurboChannel systems.
>
> I suppose I could pull out an old copy of the NT 3.1 installation
> CD and look, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone
> installing NT on a DECstation if it is supported.

  I didn't say it was *supported*, I said it was developed there.  I may
have overstated that fact, in that I don't believe *all* early NT
development took place on those machines, but *some* very early NT
development did indeed take place on DS5000s.  I saw a very early
release of NT running on a DS5000 at a DEC facility in Delaware many
years ago.

  I went straight home and took a shower, because it gave me that "not
so fresh" feeling.

        -Dave