[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jul 15 14:33:35 CDT 2002

On 2002.07.15 01:33 Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> FWIW, the Indigo2 not only uses PS/2 keyboards and mice, it has a EISA
> bus!
Yes. But who wants EISA if he can have GIO64? (The "native" bus of the
I2)

> Of course, the Extreme graphics card takes up _three_ of the four EISA
> slots
Yes. But it does not connect to the EISA bus, it lives on the GIO64 bus.
This bus can sustain around 250MB/s, quite good for a design of that
vintage (~10 years). The graphics uses only one GIO64 port, so one is
left for an additional card. IMHO you can connect a maximum of two
devices to the GIO64 bus. I.e. You can't use a GIO64 FDDI card with a
dual head config. :-(

> .... I'll probably slap a 100BaseT NIC in the open slot, once I figure
> out which ones are suitable, and how you deal with EISA in an INRX
> environment.
Plug in the 3com 3c597, install the drivers, reboot, done. See:
http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/fastether.html
Don't expect much from the 3c597. I got a bit less then 3 MB/s on my 150
MHz R4400 machine. The GIO64 FDDI card blasts around 6.5 MB/s with NFS
and 10 MB/s when doing raw TCP transfers through the fiber. The person I
swaped the 3c597 for the FDDI card still beleaves he made a good deal.
--

tsch,
         Jochen