[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 15 09:58:15 CDT 2002

> > > At least development on NetBSD/Alpha will continue. 8-)
> > That's true.  Damn Compaq for killing the Alpha, and damn
> > HP for killing Tru64.
>
> I hate to say it, but if it comes down to either HPUX or Tru64,
> I'll take HPUX.

We've got a huge installation of HP/UX systems, and the Unix
guys are constantly applying patches.  There seems to be more
patches coming out for HP/UX than any other OS we've got, which
is saying a lot (I think about the only OS we don't have in-house
is Irix, but I could be mistaken on that).

When I see what problems are being fixed, I wonder if HP does any
kind of quality control or testing for HP/UX.

Remember the "HP" in HP/UX stands for "Hourly Patch".

> (Yes, they're both anal rape, but hpux doesent hurt as bad)

I like Tru64 better than Solaris and HP/UX.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net