[rescue] Octanes?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jul 15 06:55:09 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby wrote:

> No. Supposedly some group has 12 of them and Knows They Aren't PC and
> Can't Use Anything PC, so me and a friend are going to try to get them
> ASAP before someone else does. Just going on what Black-Cube.NET has of
> it, it's a 225MHz R10K, which should be a nice and ballsy computer.

Mmmmmmm.....balsy......
What is the price range they're looking to go for?  The most common versions of
the Octanethese days will be R10k-195Mhz, there are other flavors such as
225Mhz and 250Mhz.  The R12k Octanes are fairly rare on the open market still,
as they're still perfectly useable for engineers, designers, and CAD operators
- those are most commonly found in 300Mhz varieties. See below for the hardware
reference...

> Been looking for something along the idea of the Sun Hardware Reference,
> but for SGI. I get the feeling I have seen one, but I can't think of where
> to look... off to google, I guess...

This is the best online reference available, IMO.  It has comparisons,
real-world tests, and plain-talk explainations of the hardware.  Highly
recommended:
http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/sgi.html

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster