[rescue] GNU != Unix (was: PC v. PeeCees? (was: IBM hard

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Sun Jul 14 21:37:22 CDT 2002

> > > Because a lot of GNU stuff is written by Linux weenies, who don't (want
> > > to) know that there is somthing beyond the Linux / GNU horizon. gmake
> > > only Makefiles are one symptom, an other, and much worse, is C code
> > > that can't be compiled with anything else than gcc. Not to speak about
> > > "all the world is a 32 bit litle endian machine". etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > Portability issues have existed long before Linux was around.
> > I can remember trying to get software to compile on A/UX that
> > had problems due to bad programming practices.
>
>   Sure they have.  But this is a slightly different problem...it's
> software written specifically for Linux, not for UNIX...and [sometimes
> implicitly] advertised as "portable" or "UNIX-like" software.

I've got no issues with people writing linux only code. And just because Linux got popular or pedestrian doesn't make it 'orrible. (lots of other things do, but it has some winning points.)

I *do* SO hate it when code is advertised as being portable and it ain't. *especially* when the code in question is attached to or an add on to a multi platform application suite. (i.e. ANY application for use in X)

(disclaimer, no- I do not expect a pentium cpu clocker to run on a  sun machine just because it's an X app. let's be real.)

Unofrtunately, because of the "community" emphasis of the linux world, this kind of crap makes the community as a whole look bad (similarly with Debian refusing to incorporate xf 4.2 because someone doesn't like it. Of course- debian is rapidly becoming an "historical" linux os with the ever increasing lag time.)

-C