[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Jul 14 21:00:36 CDT 2002

I have an AlphaServer 400 4/166 and I have Digital Unix 4.0d.  I want to
do simple fileserving at home, some Samba, some mail, some NFS, a very
little web, NTP, all for internal use.  The box sits behind a tight
firewall, so security is important, but not critical.(a few known
exploits won't bother me) Will be serving very few (<10) users, may be
exporting home directories with NFS to Irix, BSD, Linux.  X is not
required.

Is this a good OS for this use?  Another version? Linux? xBSD?  Am
interested in soft raid mirror, but I have tape backup, and their will
be little movement on the box, so that isn't required.

Also, I'd like 100Mbit ethernet in the box, what affordable card should
I look for and what OS supports it?

Any input appreciated.

Tim