[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jul 14 19:03:14 CDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> FWIW, the Indigo2 not only uses PS/2 keyboards and mice, it has a EISA bus!

That it does.  It also has a GIO-64 bus, which is much more interesting
(especially if you want video capture), but I don't know if you have any
GIO-64 ports available after installing Extreme gfx.

> .... I'll probably slap a 100BaseT NIC in the open slot, once I figure out
> which ones are suitable, and how you deal with EISA in an INRX environment.

The 3com 3c597 will work, provided that you can get access to a patched
version of the Phobos drivers (I have them, if you need them).  After you
install the drivers, it Just Works; the bus is transparent.

Of course, the Phobos G120 card will also work (and was the "Official"
FastEthernet card to install in an Indigo2), but is significantly more
expensive, and is really just a rebadged 3c597 with a different EISA ID.

> I do have one more question ... the Indigo2 has mini-DIN plugs for serial
> ports; can I use the same Mac Plus modem cables I used on my IPX?

Yep, they're plain ol' RS-422.  They may be used for modems, terminals,
tablets, printers, and even MIDI.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "gnu: we aim to fuck up everything with the potential to not suck"