[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jul 14 18:48:32 CDT 2002

> > > Early Alphas didn't use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
> >
> > How early?  My AlphaStation 200 uses one...
>
>   3000-series turbochannel machines, pre-PCI.

I think the DEC 4000 systems (not Alphastation or Alphaserver
4000 systems) don't have any keyboard or mouse connections,
but I'm not 100% sure.

The recycling of numbers has caused problems with Alpha
systems for a while.  People will say they have some
kind of DEC 3000 system.  Is it a MicroVAX 3xxx, VAXserver
3xxx, VAXstation 3xxx, DECstation 3xxx, or DEC 3000?  The
first three are VAX-based, the fourth is MIPs-based, and
the last is Alpha-based.

Then there's the VAX 7xxx and DEC 7xxx.  The VAX 7xxx is
obviously a VAX, but the DEC 7xxx is an Alpha.  People
will refer to both as a DEC 7xxx if they don't know what
they really have.

Of course there's the short lived FutureBus.  There were
two separate implementations at Digital, neither of which
will work on the other.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net