[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Jul 14 04:52:05 CDT 2002

On 13 Jul, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>> 80 MB RAM and Extreme
> Nice.  You'll like Extreme gfx.  It's the highest-quality desktop board
> set available before they released IMPACT gfx.
Yes. Adding bit more RAM will be a good idea. (My I2 runns OK with
128MB)

>> Will a Sun 13w3 video cable work?
> Yes.  If the pins aren't straight-through (or aren't all present), it
> won't detect your 20" tube and might disable some of the higher-resolution
> video modes, but SGIs only need the three coax connectors to put a picture
> on the screen.
AFAIK you can override the video mode selection with the IRIX display
management tool. BTW: All Sun 13W3 cables I have seen are
straight-through.

[GDM20D11 monitor]
>> Will this monitor work on a Sun LX?
> No.  It's sync-on-green only.  Suns use composite sync.
All you need to make sync-on-green from composite sync is a 470 ohm
resistor. Connect the sync cable via the resistor to green and you are
done. I did this to connect a SS5 with TGX and later RasterFlexHR to my
SGI GDM20D11 monitor. Also: I used it with a H/V-sync to sync-on-green
adapter on my Alpha (PowerStorm 4D50T) for some time.

>> On a typical PC?
> No, it's fixed-frequency sync-on-green.
Multisync from 48 kHz to 82 kHz. So the usual VGA text and low res
graphics modes with 31..38 kHz are not supported.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz