[rescue] SE UltraWide cable length question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jul 12 16:31:45 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I heard that upto 9 feet was allowed (I was searching and that is what
> I came across).  Any truth to this?  I thought ultra wide scsi was
> supposed to be shorter than that...  If that's allowed than I might
> have found a solution to my cabling conundrum that involves 3 feet of
> cabling (even though the case isn't that big.

For SE Fast20 ("Ultra") you should not exceed 1.5m per the SCSI-II spec.
Stubs should not be positioned closer together than 0.3m.  SCSI-III
modifies some of these but in a complex way.

So, for best results you should have no more than 5 feet of SCSI cable,
with devices no closer together than 1 foot.  You can of course stretch
these limits and get away with it most of the time.

-James