[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jul 11 18:09:04 CDT 2002

At 05:53 PM 7/11/2002 -0400, Larry Snyder wrote:
>Mine showed up today.  It _looks_ like the pin#::standoff goes like

Way to go--guess you did get in early enough after all.

>(from the antenna connector end):
>
>2-4-8-7-5-3

Yeah, looks about right.  I've got this in my notes:
	1 TXD2
	2 Power (blue)
	3 TXD 1 (white)
	4 Standby power (yellow)
	5 RXD 1 (black)
	6 PPS
	7 RXD2 (red)
	8 GND (green)

It's easy enough to trace out if you look and the flex connector--pin 1 is
even marked for you.

One of mine was set to TAIP protocol, as expected, but the other had
already been switched to NMEA.  I was able to establish communications with
both and switch 'em between NMEA, TAIP, and TSIP, but never did get the
clock to set or actually see sats.  (I was inside, no ground plane under
the antenna.)  I'm currently moving my rig off the bench into the back yard
for another test.

BTW, I thought I read something about the date rollover bug and these
units.  That might explain why I couldn't set the year.  Both of mine are
v5.10 firmware, model number 34057-61, date codes in '98.

Here's a link to a site with some useful software (hint, hint):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rhoskin/

newell