[rescue] mac model performance

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Jul 11 09:02:25 CDT 2002

> I'd guess that X would probably work [on a IIci], but
> in a limited capacity.

   I agree. I know that I used the console just fine, but I don't seem to
recall ever getting as far as firing up X.
   I left the cache card in my IIci when ran NetBSD on it, but I dunno if it
was actually used.
   I actually used a Quadra 700 with NetBSD, too. It was obviously a faster
system (full '040 vs. 030), and I got to recycle all the cards, drives,
etc., that were in my IIci. I even re-used those wacky 2"-tall 16MB SIMMs!
   Don't forget that a IIci's video memory is cannibalized from system RAM
-- the cheapest video card is therefore an instant RAM upgrade (see the
"Cautions" at the bottom of http://www.lowendmac.com/ii/iici.shtml).

> IIRC, YDL is PPC only.

   I concur (for whatever that's worth). Have you looked at the "Pure Mac"
web page for Unix-on-Macs? It won't load up, so try the Google cache:
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:IrPAPug3lpAC:www.eskimo.com/~pristine/u
nix.html
   Have fun!
-wde